Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Alpacas


This week the kids and I visited the Mak-ky alpaca farm with the Kent Moms Group. The alpacas were so friendly and cute. I had as much fun as the kids did! The lady that owns the farm caught a baby alpaca that had been born the day before and let us pet it. It was so soft. The baby alpaca's mommy hovered nearby and hummed to her baby. I was pretty sure she was telling it "Kick, kick, try to get away!"


We roamed in the field among the alpacas. They are very gentle and do not get aggressive or bite. The newly pregnant females will sometimes kick if something touches them from behind. This is their way of telling the males to leave them alone. One of the moms in our group was wondering if this technique might work for her at home...


The alpacas kept coming up to Olivia and sniffing her while I was holding her. She was so excited about this! Elijah was most excited about feeding them. We fed them some pellets and also some apples from a tree in the field.


We had a great time. When we were done, I used every ounce of my self control to not go into the shop and buy myself some fuzzy alpaca socks or a soft, soft, hat. Maybe when Casey is not on strike anymore...

3 comments:

Generosa said...

That is so cool! I know the kids loved it. There's something about kids and animals. Glad to see that ya'll got to take advantage of the time off. Keep us posted!

Love,
Gen

A brief bio: said...

Again, so glad you are blogging! Can I put you on my blog's favorites? C.

Mom and Dad Thompson said...

THANKS FOR INCLUDING US IN YOUR BLOG. YOU DO SOME REALLY FUN THINGS WITH YOUR KIDS, KUDOOS??TO YOU BOTH! :) ST.